General Transfer Questions


Transition & Adjustment Topics


Degree Partnership Program (DPP) Topics


Financial Aid Topics


Scholarships Topics




Q: What is a Transfer Student?
A transfer student is a student admitted to OSU with 24 or more transferrable credit hours and who obtained a high school diploma or equivalent over a year ago. New Student Programs & Family Outreach strives to assist you with your transition to Oregon State University. One of key ways we do this is through our orientation process.

  • Transfer students starting OSU-Corvallis in the Fall or Summer term will need to attend a Transfer START program during the summer. This is a required one-day orientation program where you will receive academic advising, register for fall term courses, learn about resources helpful to your transition, and meet fellow new students. If you are an international student you view all orientation options here.  
  • Transfer students starting OSU- Corvallis in Winter or Spring term will attend a Term Orientation program. These are one-day programs that focus on academic advising, registering for courses and learning about resources relevant to your transition. If you are an international student your New International Student Orientation will include advising and course registration.  

If you are starting a course during the Summer term, you will still need to attend a START program in order to register for Fall term courses.

Q: Where are the various advising/student services offices located?

A: Consult the Academic Advising listing for your college

Q: How long will it take me to complete my degree as a transfer student?

A: This will vary by program, number of transfer credits, and whether you are attending part-time or full-time. Once a student has been admitted to OSU and paid their advance tuition deposit, the Office of Admissions will articulate the student’s transcripts. The student can use the articulation of credits to work with their Academic Advisor to determine their path to graduation.

Q: What is the maximum number of quarter credit hours that I can transfer?

A: Oregon State University accepts college transfer work from all regionally accredited institutions. The amount of accepted transfer credits towards a baccalaureate degree is up to 135 lower-division quarter credits. Students are encouraged to work with the relevant academic unit to ensure that transfer credits meet department and college requirements for the degree.

Q: How will my prior credits transfer?

A: Once you have been admitted to Oregon State and paid the Advance Tuition Deposit (ATD) an articulation of all transfer coursework from regionally accredited institutions will be completed. OSU will transfer coursework completed as Pass credit. Spring 2020 term transfer courses completed as Pass credit can be used to complete major-specific requirements for graduation. Writing and Math courses needed to qualify for transfer admissions may also be considered with a Pass grade.

You will receive a notification by email once the articulation has been completed. If you are interested in how a course will transfer to Oregon State prior to enrolling, it is recommended to review the Transfer Course Search Tool.


Q: Will my military credits transfer?

A: Oregon State University grants up to 45 credit hours for military education as recommended by the American Council on Education's (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Students may request an evaluation of military credit by furnishing the Office of Admissions with a Joint Service Transcript (JST).

Oregon State University will grant 1.00 quarter credit for the course HHS 241 Lifetime Fitness Lab. For HHS 241 credit to be granted, please submit either the DD214 or an official ACE transcript. Credit will also be granted if one of the following military science courses has been completed successfully: Physical Fitness, Physical Education, or Physical Conditioning. To receive credit, please submit an official transcript from the institution.

Oregon State University will assess and award block transfer credit upon review of your military record. An evaluation report showing block transfer credit hours will be sent to you. Your major college will receive a copy of your evaluation report and the ACE recommendation guideline.


Q: I have not completed a foreign language, can I still apply?

A: Yes. If you are deficient in the foreign language subject area, you may be admitted by exception, but must complete the deficiency prior to degree completion at Oregon State.  Only applicants that graduated high school spring of 1997 to the present need to fulfill the foreign language admission requirement. Students without two years of foreign language at the high school level, or two terms at the college level, may still apply.


Q: I owe my current school (or past school) money and can’t get a transcript, can I apply to Oregon State without one?

A: No. Copies of Official transcripts from all prior colleges are required before your admission application will be reviewed for admission.


Q: Can I take classes as a non-degree seeking student and then move into a degree program?

A: Applicants are welcome to apply as a non-degree seeking student and take classes at Oregon State. If you decide you would like to pursue a degree at Oregon State, you would need to complete and submit a new admission application. Standard admission requirements will still apply. A maximum of 36 credits completed as a non-degree seeking student may be applied to a degree program at Oregon State. Also, it is important to be aware that non-degree seeking student will not qualify for financial aid.



Transition & Adjustment Topics


Q: How many students are in the biggest classes?

A: Class size varies. Large lecture halls often seat 300 students. A student, however, would not have all classes in a 300-person lecture hall. Lecture classes typically allow for personalization through labs and small group sessions, called recitations, which tend to be about 20 students in size. Students will have more classes that have a small class size as they advance in their major.


Q: How do I feel connected on a campus this big?

A: Oregon State provides many ways for students to still feel connected. There are student organizations on campus that are focused on specific interests that can help you connect with like-minded peers and reduce feelings of anonymity at a large school. Campus events feature excellent opportunities to meet people at school. It's often easier to connect with others in relaxed environments such as sporting events, campus rallies and other special occasions. Joining a study group is an effective way to socialize while completing academic responsibilities. Staying current on Oregon State news is a good way to feel connected on campus. The school newspaper (The Daily Barometer) is a solid source of information that can also provide insight into Oregon State.


Q: How do I find an internship?

A: One of the best ways to find an internship is to check with the Oregon State Career Center, online at Career Development Center, and by communicating with your department about opening specific to your academic major.


Q:  How do I find a part-time job in Corvallis?

A:  One of the best places to start looking is on the Career Development Center Find a Job or Internship website. Here you will be able to:

  • Search and view jobs (on and off campus), in addition to internships and international jobs.


Q: How do I get involved on campus while living in the Residence Halls?

A: Living in a Residence Hall can be scary and new. Here are a few tips to make living in a Residence Hall a little easier.

  • Introduce yourself to the people on your floor, or even in your particular hallway. Be proactive about meeting others that are living in the Residence Hall.
  • Attend your Residence Hall's orientation meeting. Start introducing yourself to the people around you.
  • Get involved in Residence Hall-sponsored activities. Volunteer to help coordinate a Residence Hall event.
  • Join a club and get involved with campus-wide activities. Use these activities as an opportunity to find something in common with other students living in the Residence Halls. If you recognize someone from your Residence Hall at one of these events, introduce yourself. There are also additional opportunities to participate in your Area Councils or the Residence Hall Association, which provide leadership opportunities via a student government experience specifically for students who live on campus.


Q: Does Oregon State have childcare?

A: Yes. Oregon State does have childcare. You can find out more about the OSU childcare center, and childcare subsidies, events, and activities by visiting the OSU Childcare & Family Resources website.


Q: Where can I find tutoring?

A: There are many tutoring options available on campus. Quite a few are free while others charge a fee per tutoring session. Several colleges offer tutoring from students within their major college and many other offices on campus offer subject-specific tutoring. The Academic Success Center's (ASC) tutoring page has a comprehensive list of options on campus, as well as information on how to hire a private tutor. You can also stop by the ASC to talk with strategists who are familiar with campus resources. The ASC is open Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM, in Waldo Hall room 125.

Q: Where can I find a quiet place to study?

A:  Top 5 places to study (list originally appeared on The Orange and Black)

  1. Valley Library- Whether in the rotunda on the second floor, hunkered down in the study carrel among the stacks or on the upper rotunda where it’s uber-quiet with a great view, the Valley Library (a past Library of the Year winner) is a top choice to get your study on.  Since Java II café is housed in the library, you can power up during study breaks.
  2. Memorial Union- The student union is the natural hub of student activity on campus, even studying.  The Student Lounge is the campus living room with couches, wingback chairs and benches where students can be found studying (and sometimes napping) between classes.  The upstairs areas have natural study areas tucked away including meeting rooms that are a picturesque and quiet sanctuary.
  3. Kelley Engineering Center- It’s not just for engineers!  It’s an energetic place but is home to an amazing number of quiet study areas tucked away just waiting to be found.  As one student surveyed said, “On the 4th floor there are two really comfortable squishy armchairs that have a great view of the mountains. Not too many people know these chairs are there and it is usually quiet up there.”  Coffee and snacks are available in the café on the main floor.
  4. Dutch Bros. Coffee Shop- Located on the corner of Monroe and Kings (just across from the campus edge) the coffee is a big draw.  But the large windows also lend themselves to people watching to get your creative juices flowing.
  5. Your room- Many students are able to find their study sanctuary at home.  The residence halls are one of the best places to study – quiet, comfortable, high-speed internet and you don’t have to get out of your pajamas to hammer out that research paper.


Q: In a class with 200 students, how do I make an appointment with the professor?

A: The best way to have a one-on-one meeting with your professor is to visit with them during their office hours. If a professor's office hours do not work with your schedule, try emailing them to set up an appointment.

Q: In what ways can I save money?

a: All Students

Non-Resident and International Students





Degree Partnership Program (DPP) Topics


Q: What is the Degree Partnership Program (DPP)?

A: DPP allows students to be “co-enrolled” at both Oregon State and a community college partner.


Q: What are some of the advantages of DPP?

A: DPP allows students to take advantage of what both schools have to offer. They can combine classes together from both Oregon State and the partner school to have full time enrollment for Financial Aid purposes. Students can also get academic advising at both campuses as well as other student services.


Q: Who would be able to get the most out of DPP?

A:  Generally, students who are early on in their college career get the most benefit from the DPP program. A current Oregon State student who may need to pick up some lower division (100 or 200 level) classes can also benefit from expanded offerings and different class sizes. Additionally, students who are trying to save money or may be in financial hardship.

Students may transfer up to 135 quarter credits including those from partner community colleges and any other regionally accredited institutions. Be sure to talk with your advisor to determine if taking classes through DPP aligns with your academic plan.


Q: How do I find out more information about DPP?  

A:  Visit the DPP Student website



Financial Aid Topics


Q: How do I go about getting financial aid at OSU?

A: When you complete your FAFSA, be sure to add OSU (school code 003210). If you have already completed your FAFSA, you can log back into and add OSU as well. 


Q: When should I apply for financial aid?

A:  Complete the FAFSA as early as possible. The FAFSA is available in October and OSU’s Financial Aid priority deadline is February 28th. Some funds are limited so meeting the deadline will help to be considered for these limited funds if students are eligible based on the FAFSA.  Check with other schools for their deadlines.


Q: Is there any way to speed up processing and be better organized?

A: There isn’t really a way to “speed up processing” but you should make sure you are completing the FAFSA and possible requirements once the FAFSA has been submitted early and completely.

 Here are a few helpful suggestions:

  • For faster processing of your FAFSA online, create an FSA ID for yourself, or if you are a dependent, your parent will also need to create one. Create an FSA ID.
  • Make sure to check your MyOregonState and email regularly for any updates or follow-up.

  • Please write your name and OSU Student ID number on all forms submitted to the Office of Financial Aid and always retain copies of all forms for your records
  • Make copies of your taxes and W2 forms in case the Office of Financial Aid requests these documents.


Q: Are there Transfer Scholarships?

A: Transfer students who apply for admission for Summer or Fall term by February 1st are considered automatically for merit-based admissions scholarships. Eligibility for these scholarships is based on the student’s residency status and their transfer GPA. All scholarships are offered subject to the availability of funding.


Q: What other scholarship opportunities are there?

A:  Newly admitted and current OSU students are eligible to apply for merit-based, need-based, and activity-based scholarships through the OSU ScholarDollars system. In order to submit an OSU ScholarDollars application, students must have been admitted to OSU and have an active ONID account. Scholarship application deadlines in OSU ScholarDollars vary, but most are in mid-February. Students are encouraged to apply for admission as early as possible to maximize their access to these scholarship opportunities. In addition to information about OSU campus scholarships, ScholarDollars also offers a searchable list of external scholarship opportunities.


Q: I receive aid, why hasn't my financial aid been paid?

There are several ways in which your aid may be delayed.  Here are the most common reasons:

·    You may be required to complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for your Ford Direct Loans. You would have been notified of these requirements via an email to your ONID email account and on your MyOregonState. Visit Federal Student Aid to complete both the Entrance Counseling and MPN.

·    Dropping classes (below 12 for undergraduates, 9 for graduates). All students are assumed to be full-time unless they notify Financial Aid in writing that they will be less. If you are not enrolled full-time and have not notified us, your aid will not disburse.

·    Registering late for classes. (Waitlisted classes do not count until you are actually registered)

·    Having unsatisfied requirements with your financial aid file that you have not completed.

You are responsible for managing your Financial Aid, so be sure to check your MyOregonState and your ONID email regularly and review any emails you receive from us as they may include requests for additional information or action.  Call, email, or stop by if you have any questions, we are here to help you!


Q: When are refunds processed?

A: Refunds will be processed daily during the first two weeks of the term.  Depending on how you have your account set up, you may receive a refund check in the mail, or by direct deposit.  To learn more read the Refund Policy, please visit the Business Affairs website for more information.


Q: Is there information available about regular student employment opportunities?

A: Not all student jobs on campus require that the student has been awarded work-study funds. There are regular student jobs on campus and also jobs available in the Corvallis community.

  • Handshake is the current one-stop-shop for all On-Campus and Off-Campus job opportunities! In addition to Handshake, other job boards such as Indeed, USAJobs, and CampusPoint provide students with connections to employers.

  • To register for Handshake, go to JoinHandshake and sign in with your ONID! Every OSU student has an account, they just have to activate it.
  • Once logged in to Handshake, click on “Jobs” in the upper bar and enter keywords as well as filters for On-Campus, Off-Campus locations, internships, and more.
  • You will then be provided with a list of jobs filtered to your liking! Job descriptions and requirements will be listed, but Handshake will also inform you when you match all of an employer’s preferences. When you find a job that interests you, you’ll be able to apply externally through the green “Apply Externally” button.
  • Before you interview, be sure to brush up on your interview skills with StandOut, our online mock-interview tool! All you need in order to use StandOut is a working computer with a webcam, as it will record your answers to all interview questions and provide you with feedback.
  • Feel free to stop by the Career Development Center in Room A110 in the Kerr Administration Building any time with questions, or from 10am-3pm with a hard copy of a resume or cover letter for a free 15-minute review!


Q: Do I need to provide transcripts?

A: It is important that you provide all transcripts to Admissions of institutions you have previously attended. The total number of credit hours you have attempted is a key component of Satisfactory Academic Progress and it is important that your academic history be complete. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is a federally required evaluation of a student’s progress towards completion of their degree. The evaluation includes the following three components:

  • Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative OSU GPA of 2.0 for undergraduates (3.0 for graduates, or as specified by your program).

  • Successfully complete at least 67% of their attempted coursework (PACE).

  • Complete their degree within 150% of the published time frame for undergraduates.  If your degree requires 180 credit hours, you must complete it within 270 credit hours including F & W grades (Maximum Timeframe)


Your previous coursework can impact your PACE and your Maximum Timeframe calculations so it is crucial to have a complete and accurate academic history.


Q: Are there limits on aid?

A: It is important that you progress toward your degree in a timely manner. Not only are there overall limitations for the total credit hours you can attempt, but there are also Federal funding limits as well.  It is key to utilize tools like MyDegrees and visits to your Academic Advisor to make sure you are on track to graduate. When you reach your federal limits there is no appeal process.

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law is 600% to be roughly the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. The maximum amount of Pell Grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 150%  if you attend Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring quarters, however, the Summer quarter is typically an optional quarter and not always required.


Aggregate Loan Eligibility

Federal Loan Type

Award Academic Year Limits

Aggregate Limit

Direct Subsidized Loan

$3,500 for 1st year (44 credits)

$4,500 for 2nd year (89 credits)

$5,500 for 3rd & 4th year (90+ credits)

$23,000 total

Direct Unsubsidized Loan

$2,000 for dependent students

$6,000 for 1st &2nd year independent students

$7,000 for 3rd& 4th year independent students

$20,500 for Graduate students

$8,000 dependent student

$34,500 independent student

$138,500 Graduate student

Direct Parent PLUS loan

Up to remaining cost of attendance after student award.

No aggregate limit

Direct Graduate PLUS loan

Up to remaining cost of attendance after unsubsidized loan award.

No aggregate limit


Subsidized Loans

There is now a maximum eligibility period that affects Direct Subsidized Loan Eligibility for 1st-time borrowers ON or AFTER July 1, 2013. There is now a limit on the maximum period (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. In general, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150% of the published length of your program. This is called your “maximum eligibility period”. You can usually find the published length of any program of study in your school’s catalog.


For example, if you are enrolled in a 4-year bachelor’s degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is 6 years (150% of 4 years = 6 years). If you are enrolled in a 2-year associate degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is 3 years (150% of 2 years = 3 years).


Your maximum eligibility period is based on the published length of your current program. This means that your maximum eligibility period can change if you change programs. Also, if you receive Direct Subsidized Loans for one program and then change to another program, the Direct Subsidized Loans you received for the earlier program will generally count against your new maximum eligibility period.